Sunday, August 4, 2019

I am my father's daughter

I've been on the phone with my dad a couple of times this last week. His health is not good and that, in my ever so humble opinion, is also impacting his mental health. He's not happy. He tells me about how much my mom has to do for him these days. I get the vibe that he's feeling humiliated by it all. He gets choked up and tells me that he's always thanking my mom for each thing she does. She tells him he doesn't need to thank her. They've been married 51 years. I told him it is what you do.

Shawn and I will be married 11 years in a few days. As I have conversations with my dad about what my mom does for him. I get him. I relate. In our time together, Shawn has had to do so much for me in regards to my physical and my mental health. I honestly can't think of anything I have ever had to do for him. Not one damn thing. Obviously I don't wish Shawn to be sick. It's more about feeling bad that the scales are so out of balance.

They have 51 years, Shawn and I have 11. However, my dad and I are kind of in the same place.

No comments:

Post a Comment