Friday, March 25, 2016

Must love dogs

I'm all for raising awareness. Sometimes, I like to think that my posts about my struggles with depression, anxiety, and infertility do some of that. In this age of technology, so much information is made available. Some of it is good and some not so great.

It is not a surprise to me that people need all different forms of information. But, I have to say,  this video promoted by the World Health Organization really bums me out.



I get it. It's a simple cartoon that may draw someone in and possibly help him/her get an idea of what depression is like. It is clear to me that my over sensitive side may be creeping into this.

It really bothers me that something I take so much comfort from can be used as representation of depression. I love my dog and I know many people who love dogs....many depressed people who seek comfort from animals.

Then, the creator had to make it a black dog. Many people are aware that black cats are often ignored from rescue shelters. Well, black dogs of pretty much any breed tend to be ignored when people seek out dogs for adoption.

Basically, I just don't like a black dog becoming a synonym for depression.

1 comment: