Thursday, April 26, 2018

A tale of two wars

Well, it's the two year mark for the start of ECT. I'm "celebrating" anniversaries of things I don't remember.

As the opening of "Avengers: Infinity War" is full throttle, it is the second anniversary of the opening of "Captain America: Civil War". Yes, I'm entering into a geek timeline that would most likely not even be a thing for me if it was not for meeting Shawn. Anyway, I'm very excited for "Infinity War", I mean, Groot and the Hulk together, who wouldn't be? But what does any of this have to do with anything, including ECT?

Well, I'll tell you. When "Civil War" opened, we of course saw it right away. We saw it while I was going for ECT three times a week. That's three days of me going under anesthesia and being more useless than my usual state. Then, the other four days may have seemed like I was totally with it, but I actually was existing in, while not really experiencing reality.

We saw "Civil War" a second time in the theater with Shawn's parents. It was a brand new movie for me. So, I once again existed in the movie theater, but experienced nothing.

Then "Civil War" came out on DVD. My third viewing. The story was not familiar. I knew the characters, of course, because they had been in so many movies already. Well, not T'Challa aka The Black Panther.

In my case, the fourth time turned out to be the charm. I was able to make connections. I could recall things. Not as much of the movie was new. Apparently, I returned to my original side of the war. Shawn had told me that in the course of multiple viewings, I actually changed sides. At one point I was pro-Iron Man and another had me rooting for Cap all the way. I'm not going to reveal my stance because I don't want to start a war...a comments' war.

Maybe this post means nothing. Maybe it's my own, weird word vomit. But, for me, "Captain America: Civil War" has been one of the most significant examples of the power ECT has on the brain. And ECT, and meds, and therapy are all part of the war I fight everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment